Author Heidi Hendrix suggest a few elements that can help you attract and keep good caregivers:
- Find ways to highlight how even the most difficult tasks can be rewarding and satisfying.
- Corporate and onsite leaders must model positive attributes of job satisfaction, enthusiasm, team work, and compassion.
- Spontaneous rewards. In addition to structured bonus systems, consider spontaneous rewards such as verbal praise, public recognition, and small gifts such as gift cards, treats such as donuts or cookies, or a day off.
- Encourage input. Create and sustain a work environment where caregivers feel comfortable and encouraged to approach leadership with concerns and suggestions.
- Accountability and fairness. Ensure a planned standard of practice that enables everyone to know if job expectations are being met.
- Opportunities to develop. Be creative and consider external and internal opportunities.