As businesses open up and people return to the office, a new Gallup survey shows that employers and employees alike are well aware that the workplace isn’t the same. Among the findings:
- 69% of employees say that their employer is doing new or more frequent cleaning.
- 58% say their employer always provides personal protective equipment, such as masks, gloves, and face shields.
- 54% relate that their employers are enforcing six-foot physical distancing.
- 41% say their employers are always screening workers for cough or fever.
- 39% of employees say their employer doesn’t do any of these things.
- For the period from May 4-31, 33% of employees say all employees are working onsite and 14% say no one is back to the office.
Survey authors say, “Employers and workers are taking extra precautions to avoid spreading the virus and prevent another deadly wave of infections in the U.S. The ability of such actions to prevent a second wave of coronavirus infections will help determine the pace and extent to which society reopens. Even after a vaccine is developed and coronavirus infections swindle, the memory of people’s vulnerability to infectious diseases may make some of these changes a permanent part of life.”