With unemployment at record lows and worker shortages facing many sectors of healthcare, it’s more important than ever to create and maintain an inclusive workplace. A few strategies for this include:
- Emphasizing the business case for diversity/inclusion with upper management, as well as customers and other external audiences.
- Recognizing and addressing bias.
- Practicing inclusive leadership. Create a safe space where all employees feel free to speak up and feel they are heard and welcome.
- Providing sponsorship programs that accelerate the progress of women and people of color by pairing them with experienced employees to coach/advise them over time.
- Holding leaders accountable. Make inclusion a core organizational value, and make sure all leaders live and breathe it (instead of just paying lip service to it).