Congratulations! You’ve just hired some great new team members. How do get them started on a path that results in long-term satisfaction and engagement? Start with a good welcome package that outlines your organization’s values and policies/procedures and includes frequently asked questions and answers, an employee directory, and a list of important contacts (such as relevant vendors, community agencies, etc.). Consider delivering this with a little gift—a plant or bouquet of flowers, a box of candy, or a mug. Take the time to help new hires understand their place in the organization and the role they play in its success. Elsewhere:
· Support employees’ success out of the office (such as relocation help).
· Help them build relationships.
· Communicate in advance what to expect on the first day at work.
· Give them a 90-day plan.
· Eliminate uncertainty by ensuring they know what to expect and giving them a way to seek answers to their questions.
· Implement a new employee connection plan.
· Hold a staff meeting for introductions.
· Ask for feedback.